Old versionsSee all
Parental Internet Filter is an Internet Filtering software program that allows parents to protect their children while surfing the Internet. But, let’s see more in detail what parents can do with this important tool. Parents will be able to:
- Filter-out websites, blogs, e-mails and instant messages if they contain inappropriate words that parents will define from the software interface.
- Specify days and hours when Internet is allowed, so that way children will be able to access the web only within those hour limits.
- Limit amount of data that can be sent or received via Internet, controlling costs depending on the billing system.
- Set the lists of allowed and blocked Internet programs.
- Get 'in time' notification e-mails of prohibited actions taking place.
- Get detailed reports about visited web sites, used programs, etc.
So, how does the Parental Internet Filter work? Parental Internet Filter installs a special network component that receives all network traffic BEFORE it reaches any program on your computer. Based on your settings and on the lists of good and bad websites Parental Internet Filter decides whether to block it or to pass it. As you can imagine this software uses a considerable percentage of CPU and you can note your PC kind of slow, specially your web browser. As the popular saying tells, no pain no gain, so you will have to decide whether your children’s safety is more important that your PC speed.
Regarding the software interface it’s very intuitive and easy to use. If you need some extra help you can access information on the developer’s homepage (help information is available online only). What you will see while Filter is working is an icon on the system tray from where you can access the control panel of the application.
You can download and use this software for free, but since it’s an open source code software, if you want to access the code you need to buy it for $ 99.95. The advantages of buying the source code are the following:
• You can create your own commercial quality Internet Filter within few days.
• You can learn how to intercept and control the Internet traffic.
• You don’t need low-level kernel mode programming skills. All Internet Filter modules work in user mode.
• There are no royalty fees.
About system requirements, here’s a list for you to check out:
• Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista
• Computer Processor: 1.0 GHz Pentium 4 or Athlon 1000+ or better
• Computer Memory: 512 MB or better
• Hard Disk: 25 MB free hard drive space
- Very intuitive interface
- Good reports
- Flexible settings for control
- Slow your PC while filtering
- Help information available online only